Traditional tiles in our latitudes, where weather cannot be called warm for at least six months, will require the installation of floor heating, especially if children or elderly people live in an apartment for whom contact with cold ceramics is highly undesirable. Yes, and the correct installation - the process is very time consuming and requires special skills and knowledge. Modern linoleum, although it pleases us with a variety of textures, colors and types, can also be rejected for various reasons.
Laminate as a flooring like very many, but he is afraid of water, and in the kitchen contact with moisture is inevitable. Meanwhile, now many laminate manufacturers (for example, Pergo, Parador, Alloc, Witex, etc.) produce collections that are positioned as waterproof.
So is it possible to lay laminate flooring in the kitchen? And what kind of waterproof laminate is it?
What is the difference between waterproof laminate and ordinary laminate?
Laminate usually has a four or five layer structure:
- First layer (the top one, the one we wash, clean and, of course, trample) is a strong protective film. It minimizes the violation of the integrity of the coating, the occurrence of static electricity, fading in the sun, resistant to thermal and some chemical effects. It defines the wear resistance class, from laminate resistance to abrasion. Elastic and durable, it also mimics the texture of the next layer.
- Next is decorative layer from paper impregnated with a special compound. It is she who gives the laminate exactly the look and texture that attracts us.
- Main layer is, pressed under high pressure and impregnated with resins, wood board of very high density - HDF or MDF. Thanks to the manufacturing technology of the plate, the laminate is very durable. This middle layer largely determines the characteristics of the product.
- bottom layer, is called stabilizing and performs several functions: moisture-proof, prevents deformation and noise insulation. To ensure greater silence, the coating is often equipped with an additional sound insulation layer.
Features waterproof laminate:
- wear resistance class - 32, 33 or 34;
- the main layer - HDF - high density plate (from 850 kg / m 3 to 900 kg / m 3). This material can stay in the water for a long time, without swelling and losing its properties;
- waterproof laminate locks are treated with water repellents;
- Many manufacturers also add water-repellent substances to the HDF plate itself during manufacturing. Such plates can be painted in a greenish color (by analogy with moisture-resistant drywall);
- Additionally, waterproof laminate is treated with antibacterial and antifungal agents.
When choosing a material, take into account that only the edges of the slab can be treated with a water repellent, and maybe the whole slab.
Council To prolong the service life of the laminate, both manufacturers and experienced repairmen urge consumers to use sealants for joints.
Laminate in the kitchen - the pros and cons
High-quality waterproof laminate can be used for the kitchen. Judging by the numerous reviews, no one has any problems with exploitation.
Here are some typical feedback from the forums:
“We have a moisture resistant Egger, class 32, for two years now. So far there are no problems. "(Sage, forum.littleone.ru)
“In the kitchen there is a laminate for 3 years. The pipes do not flow, since the inspection was carried out during the repair, and the laminate is not afraid of a glass of water. No complaints. If something happens, it is easy to replace. ”(Barrick, forum.ixbt.com)
“I have a Norlocian Alloc lying on the floor in my whole apartment ... It has been lying for 4 years already. Two little kids at home ... No problem at all. Including in the kitchen. My completely calm ... Spilled something on the floor regularly. Once neighbors flooded ... neither blisters, no sags ”(Martyshev, www.forumhouse.ru)
The advantages of laminate
- maintains without loss of quality even very strong short-term flooding;
- easy to remove stains of different origin;
- large selection of colors and textures. Moisture resistant laminate perfectly imitates any kind of wood, and now also ceramic tile, stone, or almost any other material;
- the dishes will not break when dropped, and if the child stumbles, it will not hit hard.
When do difficulties arise?
Reviews about the excellent service of laminate in the kitchen relate mainly to quality products of branded manufacturers. And the price of such coverage is quite high - mostly from 1,000 to 2,000 rubles per square meter. meter.
The danger for high-quality laminate in the kitchen is not moisture, but fallen knives and dishes (if it still beats). In this case there may be scratches on the floor.
Board. Disguise scratches on the laminate can be using a furniture pencil.
Moisture resistant laminate does not mean that nothing will happen to him if he stays in water for several hours. The coating may deteriorate if water stays on the laminate for a long time. For example, you will go on vacation and your neighbors will flood you. Or turn off the light - and the refrigerator will flow, and the puddle will be on the floor for several days. Or break the pipe. A few days in the water can not stand even high-quality coating. And if the laminate swells up dramatically, it will not take its original form. That is why this material is not put in the bathroom. There, the coating is exposed to moisture regularly, and you should not expect a long service life.
Lay or not to put laminate in the kitchen?
From the available information on waterproof laminate, we can draw some conclusions:
- If you want the floor to last as long as possible, then you need to choose a high quality product.
- Do you often leave for a long time? Then laminate is not the best option for your kitchen. Or arrange to have someone regularly visit the apartment in your absence;
- A good solution would be to combine laminate and tile - in the working area, near the sink, in the area of the dishwasher, put tiles on the tiles. To date, the drawing and texture will not be difficult to pick up, and the transition can be closed with a connecting profile.
- To prolong the operational life of the laminate, it must be used carefully, protecting it from unnecessary scratching and strikes of sharp objects. Actually, accurate and careful handling is recommended with any floor covering.
The final choice, of course, you do. We wish you a successful repair!